Educators are teaching and learning in unprecedented times. The COVID-19 pandemic demanded emergency remote teaching, and educators across the country met the demand. The pandemic provided an opportunity to see our students and the structural inequities of our systems in a new light. While we will someday return to our classrooms, we must never return to “normal.” What We Can Become is dedicated to learning from the pandemic and creating a more humane, responsive, and equitable education for all students, educators, and communities.
Registration for the 2020-21 program is closed. Be the first to know when this program is scheduled to run—subscribe for updates below.
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Subscribe for updates about the Greater Madison Writing Project Online Yearlong Institute
What We Can Become brings together a select group of outstanding teachers working with student writers across grade levels and content areas, kindergarten through college. Supported by the GMWP directors and each other, participating teachers will explore questions such as:
- What did we learn with and from our students and colleagues while teaching at a distance? How does this inform and improve teaching and learning as we move forward?
- How do we develop curricula and instructional practices that are more nimble, flexible, and responsive?
- How can we better serve students and families in traditionally under-served communities?
- How do we use this opportunity to support and advocate for personalized learning that reaches and elevates our students and their/our communities?
Upon completion of the yearlong institute, participants become Greater Madison Writing Project Fellows and are eligible for:
- Ongoing support from GMWP beyond the yearlong institute
- A networked professional development community at state, regional, and national levels
- Opportunities to develop and deliver professional development
If you have questions about the GMWP Online Yearlong Institute, please email Greater Madison Writing Project Director Mark Dziedzic at firstname.lastname@example.org.